Events - Event View
This is the "Event Detail" view, showing all available information for this event.
If the event has passed, click the "Event Report" button to read a report and view photos that were uploaded.
11am: CDTC Puppy Class & AKC S.T.A.R Puppy Test 6wk class
Such an exciting time having a new puppy come into your lives. It is very important to start them on a good path with health and wellness. An important part of that is their mental training and socialization. We are going to be training you and your puppy on a variety of new skills and behaviors.
The goal of this 6 week class is not to teach your puppies but to teach YOU, the handler, the skills and knowledge needed to train your dog and develop the foundation for a lifelong relationship. Anyone can teach their dog to sit, but not everyone has a great working relationship with their dog where the dog WANTS to sit.
The CDTC STAR Puppy Program includes:
Week 1 - STATIONS & RELAXATION (BUILDING THE CALM WINDOW)
Week 2 - SIT, DOWN, STAY, & SOCIALIZATION
Week 3 - ZEN BOWL (IMPULSE CONTROL), GROOMING, & VET VISITS
Week 4 - WALKING WITH A PURPOSE (LOOSE LEASH WALK)
Week 5 - GET YOUR GAME ON (BUILDING THE FUN WITH ME WINDOW)
Week 6 - AKC STAR Puppy Examination - Earn the AKC recognized STAR Puppy Certification
AKC STAR Puppy Exam Requirements
- Maintains puppy's health (vaccines, exams, appears healthy)
- Owner receives Responsible Dog Owner's Pledge
- Owner describes adequate daily play and exercise plan
- Owner and puppy attend at least 6 classes by an AKC Approved CGC Evaluator
- Owner brings bags to classes for cleaning up after puppy
- Owner has obtained some form of ID for puppy-collar tag, etc
- Puppy is free of aggression towards people during at least 6 weeks of class
- Puppy is free of aggression toward other puppies in class
- Tolerates collar or body harness of owner's choice
- Owner can hug or hold puppy
- Puppy allows owner to take away a treat of toy
- Allows (in any position)petting by a person other that the owner
- Grooming-Allows owner handling and brief exam (ears, feet)
- Walks on a leash-Follows owner on lead in a straight line
- Walks by other people
- Sits on command
- Down on command
- Comes when called
- Comfortable with Distracting noises and objects
- Stays on a leash with another person.
Wednesday, February 17, 2021, 11:00 AM until 12:00 PM
Charleston Dog Training Club
7644 Southrail Road, Suite 300A
North Charleston, SC 29420
Payment in Full In Advance Or At Event
To earn your AKC STAR Puppy Certification you must attend 6 classes. If you cannot make a class you will be provided with the opportunity to do a make up class.