Such an exciting time having a new puppy come into your lives. It is very important to start them on a good path with health and wellness. An important part of that is their mental training and socialization. We are going to be training you and your puppy on a variety of new skills and behaviors.
Relaxation, Stations, Stay, Down, Socialization, Grooming, Vet Visits, Impulse control. Loose Leash Walking, and play will all be on the agenda.
Week 6 you and your puppy will take an exam given by your instructor who is an AKC evaluator.
We also encourage you to attend as many of the socialization events we offer during your 6-week training class and beyond. These events are designed for you and your puppy to experience a variety of safe and new stuff. We have wobble boards, tunnels, obstacles to climb on and go under, station for nose work and more.
AKC STAR Puppy Exam Requirements
- Maintains puppy's health (vaccines, exams, appears healthy)
- Owner receives Responsible Dog Owner's Pledge
- Owner describes adequate daily play and exercise plan
- Owner and puppy attend at least 6 classes by an AKC Approved CGC Evaluator
- Owner brings bags to classes for cleaning up after puppy
- Owner has obtained some form of ID for puppy-collar tag, etc
- Puppy is free of aggression towards people during at least 6 weeks of class
- Puppy is free of aggression toward other puppies in class
- Tolerates collar or body harness of owner's choice
- Owner can hug or hold puppy
- Puppy allows owner to take away a treat of toy
- Allows (in any position)petting by a person other that the owner
- Grooming-Allows owner handling and brief exam (ears, feet)
- Walks on a leash-Follows owner on lead in a straight line
- Walks by other people
- Sits on command
- Down on command
- Comes when called
- Comfortable with Distracting noises and objects
- Stays on a leash with another person.
We are now offering Auditor Spots as an option. Only Handlers and no dogs allowed as an auditor. Come watch and learn and apply what you learned from the class at home. You will not be able to take the STAR Puppy at the end of the class.