For puppies 4 months to 10 months. Class requirements are determined by the AKC. AKC requires that you attend six classes to graduate. Skills learned: walking on a loose leash, sit, down, comes when called and allowing being left with another person for a brief time. A test will be given at the last class. The class will also work on calm on matt, attention and focus, impulse control, discuss safety, grooming, and other puppy-related issues. If you have an 8 week to 15 week old puppy we highly recommend taking our puppy beginnings class first.
AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy: 20 Steps for Success
The AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy program focuses on all the things every puppy and owner need to have a great start together.
STAR stands for Socialization, Training, Activity and a Responsible owner and in six weeks of STAR puppy classes, puppies learn the following behaviors and skills:
1. Maintains puppy’s health (vaccines, exams, appears healthy)
2. Owner receives Responsible Dog Owner’s Pledge
3. Owner describes adequate daily play and exercise plan
4. Owner and puppy attend at least 6 classes by an AKC Approved CGC Evaluator
5. Owner brings bags to classes for cleaning up after puppy
6. Owner has obtained some form of ID for puppy-collar tag, etc.
7. Free of aggression toward people during at least 6 weeks of class
8. Free of aggression toward other puppies in class
9. Tolerates collar or body harness of owner’s choice
10. Owner can hug or hold puppy (depending on size)
11. Puppy allows owner to take away a treat or toy
PRE-CANINE GOOD CITIZEN® TEST BEHAVIORS:
12. Allows (in any position) petting by a person other than the owner
13. Grooming-Allows owner handling and brief exam (ears, feet)
14. Walks on a Leash-Follows owner on lead in a straight line (15 steps)
15. Walks by other people-Walks on leash past other people 5-ft away
16. Sits on command-Owner may use a food lure
17. Down on command-Owner may use a food lure
18. Comes to owner from 5-ft when name is called
19. Reaction to Distractions-distractions are presented 15-ft away
20. Stay on leash with another person (owner walks 10 steps and returns)
These skills prepare your puppy to move on to Canine Good Citizen Training.
During the 7th week you will have a chance to take the puppy test and earn the title AKC S.T.A.R Puppy.