Events - Event View
This is the "Event Detail" view, showing all available information for this event.
If the event has passed, click the "Event Report" button to read a report and view photos that were uploaded.
7pm: Community Canine & Urban with Test (5wks)
ATTENTION: the following dates for this class are May 15th, 22nd & June 5th, 12th 19th. Class will not be held Memorial Day.
Are you looking for more ways to develop your dogs good manners? If your dog has earned their CGC title then your next step in the AKC Community Canine and Urban Canine Good Citizen. With this 5-week class you will practice the skills needed to pass both tests in the outside world with real unhearst public distractions. AKC Urban CGC requires that the dog demonstrate CGC skills and beyond in a setting that includes traffic, crowds, noises, smells and other distractions that are present in a city or town, while AKC Community Canine is the advanced level of AKC’s Canine Good Citizen (CGC) program.
Your first class will be at the Charleston Dog Training Club facility to set you up for the streets of Downtown Summerville. The 2nd through 4th class will be in Downtown Summerville where we will practice around unplanned distraction as they happen and how it would be in your community. The 5th class you will have the opportunity to take both tests at the same time and earn your CGCA & CGCU titles. The test will be administered by an AKC CGC Evaluator.
AKC Advanced CGC & Urban Test Items
- Dog stands, sits or lies down and waits under control while the owner:
- sits at the registration table and fills out paperwork, or,
- if the test is done in the community, dog waits while the owner sits and has a snack or visits with another person (e.g., at a park)
- Walks on a loose leash in a natural situation (not in a ring) — does not pull.
- left turn
- right turn
- fast and slow pace
- Walks on loose leash through a crowd:
- at a show or in class, this item is tested in a real crowd, not in a ring
- in the community, dog walks on sidewalk, through a crowd at a community fair, park, on a trail, through a busy hallway, etc.
- Dog walks past distraction dogs present; does not pull.
This item may be tested along with #3 if there are dogs in the crowd, etc.
- at a show or class, dog walks by dogs waiting in the crowd–dogs 2 ft. apart
- in the community, dog walks by other dogs on a trail, sidewalk, in a hallway, etc.
- Sit — stay in small group (3 other people with dogs).
Owners and dogs are in an informal circle/square while owners have a conversation.
Dogs are all on the owner’s left side, on leash; 3 ft. apart. (At least 30 seconds)
- Dog allows person who is carrying something (backpack, computer bag, etc.) to approach and pet it.
“May I pet your dog?” (Item is placed on floor/ground before the person pets the dog)
- “Leave it.” Dog walks by food and follows owner instructions, “Leave it.”
This can be food placed by the evaluator on the floor or ground in a food dish with a wire cover as in Rally.
- Down or sit stay — distance (owner’s choice).
Dog is on 20–ft line, owner walks away with back to dog, picks up an item (e.g., backpack, training bag, clipboard, folder etc.) placed on the floor/chair/ground by the evaluator and returns to the dog.
- Recall with distractions present (coming when called). Handler goes out 20–ft. **(off center) and calls dog.
Dog is on the 20–ft. line from #8 above.
- Dog will sit or stand stay (owner’s choice) while owner enters/exits a doorway or narrow passageway. Owner calls dog through door when ready.
Owner may also choose to:
- send the dog through first and have the dog wait for the owner, or
- the owner may choose to have the dog go through the doorway at the owner’s side.
Whichever method is used, the dog must not pull the owner and must be under good control. Think of the handler having the leash in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other.
Doorway or gate can be real or simulated with ring gates, two chairs, or a natural passageway (e.g., entrance to trail) in the community.
Monday, May 15, 2023, 7:00 PM until 8:00 PM
1st class @ the Charleston Dog Training Club facility
2nd-5th class will be held in Summerville
7644 Southrail Road, Suite 300A
North Charleston, SC 29420
Registration is required
Payment In Full In Advance Only
This class requires a minimum of 3 registered student to have the class.
During the 5th week of class the test will be administered by an AKC CGC Evaluator.
We require a minimum of a 72 hour notice if you wish to cancel your registration for this class to receive a partial refund. A $10 cancellation fee will be held for processing. Cancellations less than 72 hours notice will not receive a refund but rather a partial credit towards another class. For cancellations please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org